Pages

Stay Connected

Friday, October 28, 2011

Chick Pea, Pumpkin & Cilantro Fritters

I know...I was even second guessing this one myself. But, they were INCREDIBLE if I don't say so myself (plus I had a few of my guinea pigs, uh I mean friends, try them out for me as well!). I had stopped at the store the other day to pick up some cilantro and all the store had was this HUGE bunch of it. Now I love it, but don't use it that often. This was also the day that I had to wait in line for 15 minutes at the check out counter to pay for said cilantro because apparently two cashiers didn't know they had to come in to work the earlier shift...gotta love it! Thank goodness for my smartphone, I don't know what I did without one..hours and hours of entertainment at our fingertips. So after getting it home to use in another recipe I was making, I rinsed it off well, drained it on some paper towels, removed the stems, put it in a large resealable plastic bag and then put it in the freezer for later use. (Hint: You can do this with most fresh herbs. It just doesn't look pretty as a garnish once defrosted but it's perfectly fine to use in your recipes.) 


Anyhow, I was in my kitchen thinking about what I could also use this cilantro with when I noticed two things. 1. I can't wait to remodel my kitchen because I must have the smallest darn pantry on Earth (seriously, it's a closet with 2 shelves allotted for dry/canned food and the rest baskets and dog paraphernalia...no wonder I'm always at the grocery store!) and 2. I saw some canned chick peas and pumpkin peeking out from one of the shelves. I hadn't made any fritters in a while and thought "weird combo" but I think I'll give it a shot. Now, I'm not by any means a vegetarian, but I could definitely get used to it with meals like this. YUM!


Chick Pea, Pumpkin & Cilantro Fritters
1-15oz. Can Pumpkin Puree (I used Libby's)
1-15oz. Can Chick Peas, rinsed under cold water
2 tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp. Red Onion, minced
1 Lime, zest and juice
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 c. Self-Rising Flour
1/4 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Kosher Salt, to taste
Canola Oil, for frying


In a bowl, mix together the chick peas, pumpkin, cilantro, onion, lime zest & juice, garlic, flour and pepper until well blended. Heat about 1/2" oil in a large frying pan and add a kitchen tablespoon full of mixture to the oil. Flatten slightly and fry on each side 2-3 minutes until browned. Drain on paper towels or brown paper bags to remove the excess oil and serve hot. Makes 12 fritters. 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow these look delicious, thank you for sharing them with my pumpkin linky this week.

    I am going to pin this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis