Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Asiago Cheese Stuffed Roma Tomatoes

Happy Valentine's Day! I have no real plans for tonight as hubby is on a biz trip and won't get home until later tonight and my oldest daughter has a game.  I guess our special dinner will just have to wait until the weekend. So instead of a romantic meal idea, I'll give you a red veggie instead! :)


Roma or commonly called plum tomatoes are my "go to" tomato and you can generally find them year-round primarily from California, Mexico and Florida. California Romas are available from June through November and Washington tomatoes are available during August and September. I just prefer the flavor of them better than the other varieties you get during the year, except of course when Jersey tomatoes are in full bloom..those I can just slice and eat with a little salt on them and I'm good to go. 


Here are some useful tips for tomatoes from Produce OasisGood-quality roma tomatoes will be firm, smooth-skinned and be at least pink in color. Tomatoes that are partially green will ripen if left at room temperature. Unripe tomatoes should be stored out of direct sunlight at room temperature until ripe for 3 or 4 days. Once ripe, tomatoes should be used within a day or two. Only refrigerate fully ripened tomatoes, but be aware that it will affect the flavor!  Avoid product that is too soft, wrinkled or that has broken skin. Tomatoes with a green blush will ripen, but avoid product with blotchy green or brown areas. 

Now, my kids are a little "odd" when it comes to certain foods. Especially tomatoes. They eat them in bruschetta or salsa but yet they won't eat them in a tossed salad. So when I made these as our vegetable one night, I kept my fingers crossed that if they didn't like them, it would  just have meant more for hubby and I. :) Unfortunately for us, they devoured them so I was glad I made extra! They're so simple and quick to make and perfect for a last minute vegetable side dish idea. 



Asiago Cheese Stuffed Roma Tomatoes
5 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 c. Shredded Asiago Cheese
1 tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 Clove Garlic, chopped
1/2 c. Italian Breadcrumbs


Scoop out the insides of the tomato, leaving a shell, and place in an oven safe baking dish or on a sheet pan. Chop the insides of the tomato and add to a mixing bowl. Next, add the cheese, rosemary, garlic and breadcrumbs. Mix together and stuff the tomato shells. Broil on high for 3-5 minutes until the stuffing is browned. 


Points+=1pt per half


Enjoy! 

4 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis