Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Greek Farro Salad

Welcome to Day 3 of Salad Week! 

If you follow my blog regularly, you know that my mother was in from FL a couple of weeks ago. She doesn't come to NJ often and when she does, she doesn't get a chance to visit with her extended family often.  Heck, I live here and I don't see my aunts, uncles and cousins besides weddings and funerals much anymore either and the furthest one only lives an hour away! So this time, I arranged to have whomever can make it from our family come to my home for a get together. Nothing fancy, just some apps, drinks, dinner, salads and desserts. Just about everyone brought something too which is always helpful and a special thank you to my Mom and cousin Dawn for doing all of the dishes for me since that was also the day I cut my hand! 

I made some Penne with Vodka Sauce (in the cookbook), Chicken in a Lemon Butter Sauce (in honor of my family in MI that couldn't be here), Asian Chicken Wings (the kids favorite and also in the cookbook), a tossed salad, Homestyle Potato Salad (another one in the cookbook) and I also made this Greek Farro Salad. 

This salad was a total "everything but the kitchen sink" salad I threw together using the few olives, spinach and feta cheese I had left in the refrigerator and didn't want to throw away. It was delicious and my family really enjoyed it.  All in all, we had a BLAST! There was a TON of food left over, even after I sent some of it home with others (go figure) so I didn't have to cook for a couple of days afterward...bonus! 

Greek Farro Salad
Prep Time:  20 minutes                       Yield: 8
Cook Time: 10 minutes                       Serving: 1/4 c.
Total Time:  30 minutes
Ingredients
  • 1 c. Farro
  • 2 c. Water
  • 1/4 c. Kalamata Olives, chopped
  • 1 Scallion, chopped
  • 1/4 c. Fresh Spinach, packed and torn into small pieces
  • 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
  • 1/4 c. Crumbled Feta Cheese
  • 1 Lemon, zest and juice
  • 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Kosher Salt, to taste
  • Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Directions 
  1. Place water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the farro, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until farro is cooked and the water is absorbed. Remove from the pot, place in a bowl and allow to cool. 
  2. Add the olives, scallion, spinach, oregano, feta, lemon zest and juice and oil. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts
Calories 156 , Carbs 19g, Fat 7.6g, Protein 4.4g, Fiber 2.9g, Sugar .3g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 

Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    This looks like one of those salads I can't walk past without sticking a fork in and having 'just one more' taste. Again, and again.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It was great Anita..thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis