Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pickled Beets

As a child, I remember going to family picnics and without fail, there would always be pickled beets as a salad option. I never particularly cared for them when I was young, but as I reached my teenaged years, I tried them again. The recipe was simple: canned beets, onions and white wine vinegar and I thought they were alright, but not something I would rush out to make for myself.  In fact, I don't recall having eaten pickled beets again since the 1980's!

However, with my new found love of fresh beets, I decided to give the old recipe a makeover using fresh ingredients like beets and tarragon; then using a white balsamic vinegar to give it a slightly different flavor. These marinated beets were so refreshing and flavorful and would make a lovely salad for any upcoming summer gathering.

Pickled Beets
Prep Time:      10 minutes                 Yield: 4
Cook Time:     40 minutes                 Serving: 1/2 cup
Refrigeration: 2 hours
Total Time:     2 hours 50 minutes

Ingredients
  • 3 Medium/Large Beets, stems removed
  • 1/4 c. Red Onion, thinly diced
  • 1/4 c. White Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp. Fresh Tarragon, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Sugar
  • Kosher Salt, to taste
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Directions
  1.  Place beets in a pot, then cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until the beets have softened. Cooking times may vary depending on size, but will take approximately 20-40 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool in cold water. 
  2. Peel the beet skins, slice beets into 1/4" thick slices; then cut into manageable, bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl; then add the onions. 
  3. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, tarragon and sugar until it's combined; then add it to the beets. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. 
  4. Allow to refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. 

Nutrition Facts
Calories 90, Carbs 13.8g, Fat 3.7g, Protein 1.4g, Fiber 1.7g, Sugar 12g

*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 

Enjoy! 

Shared on Thursday's Treasures 6/20/13 

4 comments:

  1. We LOVE pickled beets and I make them frequently. I always roast mine, pickle them in 1 part sugar, 1 part sherry vinegar and 1 part apple cider vinegar and add lots of red onion. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous Pickled Beets on Thursday's Treasures, my sweet friend! I cannot wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome my friend, I'm so glad you liked them. xo

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis