Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Triple Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

WARNING! The following recipe is NOT healthy in any way, shape or form, but it taste darn good!

Sometimes a girl just needs a chocolate fix. And being there are three of us under one roof, it's bound to happen from time to time. I don't usually keep sweets like cookies and candy in the house so when the chocolate craving monster rears it's ugly head, we have to think twice before getting in the car to go to the store to satisfy our cravings.

This time my oldest needed a chocolate fix the night before I made these and of course, we had nothing she wanted. So the next day while surfing Google+, I saw that Christie from Food Done Light made some Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. Her muffins looked incredible; however, they were made "healthier" with flax seed, yogurt, and egg whites which I LOVED, but my kids, not so much. Every time I try to give them a healthier version of a dessert/sweet type item they cringe. So I used my own zucchini bread recipe (which is in my cookbook!) and tweaked it a little to make it extra chocolatey.

I have to say that I was shocked that they were only 205 calories each considering what went into these beauties, so even I indulged in a muffin or two over the course of their existence. Which by the way, only lasted three days since I sent them into work for my nieces to enjoy as well and then the younger one and her friend devoured most of what was left during a sleepover.


Triple Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Prep Time:  15 minutes              Yield: 30
Cook Time: 20 minutes             Serving: 1 muffin
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients
  • 4 Eggs
  • 2 c. Granulated Sugar
  • 1 c. Canola Oil
  • 3 1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 3/4 c. Cocoa Powder
  • 2 1/2 c. Grated Zucchini
  • 1/2 c. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 2 oz. Dark Chocolate, chopped 
  • Cooking Spray
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Combine the eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl and whisk together until smooth. 
  3. Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder and mix well. 
  4. Next, add in your grated zucchini and both kinds of chocolate. Mix well
  5. Spray standard size muffin tins with the cooking spray and fill them 3/4 of the way to the top with the batter. You should get approximately 30-32 muffins depending on the actual size of your pans. (I got 30 with mine). 
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Remove from oven and cool. 
Enjoy! 



Nutrition Facts
Calories 205, Carbs 29.1g, Fat 9.6g, Protein 3g, Fiber 1.5g, Sugar 15.9g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 

Enjoy! 




Triple Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Shopping List


6 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    Sometimes you just have to indulge in chocolate. These looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! My kids keep asking for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these and they are fabulous! I substituted 1/2 the oil with 1/2 cup applesauce and replaced 1 cup of the all purpose flour with wheat flour too. I don't know how much healthier that makes them, but every little bit helps, right! Thanks, they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, every little bit helps! I do that sometimes as well and you can hardly tell the difference. I'm so glad you liked them, thanks for stopping back to let me know. I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis