Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

I can't believe that in the 2 1/2 years I've been blogging about my weekly food experiments, I've yet to make Beef Stroganoff! Chicken Stroganoff...yes, but beef..no. Like I've said before, I try to make things healthier for my family when I can, but every now and then we like to splurge on the good stuff! I love meals like this when the weather is getting cooler. My preference is to cook this in a Dutch oven on top of the stove, but I haven't used my slow cooker in a while and was going to be out most of the day and needed dinner ready for when I got home. The beauty of this dish is that you can prepare the entire thing the night before, refrigerate it; then put it in the slow cooker in the morning before work. And...Voila! Dinner is ready when you get home.

I also wanted to point out that wine glass in the picture. Isn't it adorable! My friend Jenn, from My Daily Jenn-ism gave it to me last Christmas and had it custom made by A Beaded Whim. They're handcrafted beaded and wired wine glasses, flutes and goblets and no two are exactly like. She just moved and new orders are on a brief hiatus for the next month until she gets settled, but keep these in mind for the upcoming holiday season! 

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Prep Time: 20 minutes    Cook Time: 2-8 hours     Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 lb. Top Round of Beef or Beef Cubes
  • 1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 tbsp. Canola Oil
  • 1 tbsp. Butter
  • 3 Portobello Mushroom Caps, approximately 3 cups halved and sliced
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 2 Scallions, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
  • 3 1/2 c. Low Sodium Beef Broth
  • 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
  • 1 tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Fresh Thyme
  • 1/2 c. White Wine
  • 1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 c. Water
  • 1/2 c. Sour Cream 
  • Egg Noodles or Rice, as desired
Directions
  1. Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. 
  2. If using the top round of beef, cut the meat into 1"cubes; then dredge the cubes in flour so that they are coated on all sides. 
  3. Brown the meat in the oil for 5-7 minutes on all sides; then place in your slow cooker. 
  4. Add the butter to the pan; then add the mushrooms, garlic and scallions. Saute 2 minutes until the mushrooms start to sweat. Remove from the pan and place in your slow cooker. 
  5. Next, in the same pan, whisk in your flour to form a roux; then add your broth, mustard, parsley, thyme and wine. Bring to a boil until it's slightly thickened and add to your slow cooker
  6. Cook on warm 6-8 hours; low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours; depending on how long you will be away from your slow cooker. 
  7. After the meat has cooked and is tender, combine the 1/4 cup of flour and cold water together and mix well so that there are no lumps. Add the flour mixture to the beef mixture as needed depending on how thick you like your gravy (I like to make extra sauce for the noodles or rice); then stir in the sour cream. Serve over noodles or rice. 
Enjoy! 

*Nutrition Facts per Serving (without the noodles or rice)
Calories 751, Carbs 17g, Fat 36.8g, Protein 73.5g, Fiber .6g, Sugar 1.5g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 
These figures represent all of the ingredients listed above even though it may not all be consumed. There is no way for me to break out the meat portion only minus the gravy so please just use this as a guide.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    I love beef stroganoff and never make or eat it--that needs to change. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kirsten. It's not something I made either but I do enjoy it especially now that the weather is getting cooler.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis